My New Friend
I made a new friend this week. Actually, scratch that, because "friend" implies that we know each other, and at the current time, she has no idea who I am. Creepy? Probably. But let me explain. I saw her for the first time on Thursday and, honestly, my life at Dartmouth will never be the same. Her name is Sunja and she is the lady behind Sushi Night at Collis.
I'm sure you've all been asked at some point in your lives to choose your all-time dream meal. Well, all-you-can-eat sushi always ranks up there for me. If you're like me and think sushi is a party for your taste buds, then get excited because every Thursday at dinner time, Sunja and a few helpers will make restaurant quality sushi for you on the spot! And it's on campus! And it's all-you-can-eat!
(Important disclaimer: I am a liar. It's not all-you-can-eat. You have to pay for each roll. But, you can use DBA, which is your On-campus Dining Plan, which many Dartmouth students say is not real money. In fact, I managed to spend thirty-four dollars of "fake money" for two people, but I was full from sushi for the first time ever.)
Let me tell you, Sunja really knows how to make sushi! After waiting in line for maybe ten minutes, I went nuts and just about ordered the left side of the menu. After rattling off the names of five or six rolls, I thought I would be good to go - that is, until I saw one of Sunja's helpers preparing a salmon roll next to me. It was love at first sight. I knew I had to have it.
"Actually, can you take off the orange california roll and make it a salmon one?" I asked.
"You don't want that," the mighty Sunja said. "Get the rainbow roll."
Normally I don't change my appetite at someone else's whim (especially when that change costs an extra 3 dollars), but I was not going to interfere with Sunja or her Sushi Night, so I agreed. She looked for the scribbles on her pad that I think referred to the orange california roll I had ordered, crossed it off, and replaced it with some new abbreviation that meant rainbow roll.
Within two bites the rainbow roll had found its place on my top-five sushi selections of all time. What's in it you ask? I have no idea, but there was even fish on the outside of the roll too.
Thank you Sunja, and see you next Thursday!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home