A Day in the Dartmouth Life

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Hola from Barcelona!

As I am getting ready to leave Barcelona, where I’ve been living for the past term, I thought I’d check in and share some of my amazing experiences! I am here because I am participating in one of Dartmouth’s many Language Study Abroad programs, or as they are more commonly called, LSAs, through which I am fulfilling the foreign language proficiency requirement. This requirement can be fulfilled through regular Dartmouth classes or even through AP credit, but many students find the immersion of a term abroad the most attractive way to study a language. In fact, studying abroad in general is encouraged and very popular at Dartmouth, and over half of Dartmouth students participate in at least one of the 40 study abroad programs offered in both the languages and other disciplines at some point during their four years.

With finals coming up next week, I’ve been doing a lot of reflecting on the experience, and I cannot believe that the term flew by so quickly! I am not ready to leave! From its location on the Mediterranean and constantly gorgeous weather, to its beautiful modernist architecture mixed with old, historic districts, Barcelona is an absolutely fabulous, fun and dynamic city, and I’m really going to miss it! I feel like I could never run out of things to do here. Also, we were given a week to travel freely throughout Spain in April and had weekends free for side trips, so I feel like I've really gotten to know this country well!

The 15 other students in my program and I attend classes at the University of Barcelona, where we are taught by one Dartmouth Professor and 3 other UB professors employed by Dartmouth for the program. We have 2 or 3 classes every morning and then have the afternoons free to enjoy the city. I have spent countless afternoons just wandering around the different areas of Barcelona, reading at the beach, or people watching with friends while sipping what one of our professors calls “the atomic bomb” that is the Spanish cup of coffee.

We all live with families while we are here, which has added even more to the value of the program. My “madre” was not exactly like what I had imagined; though I spent the first few weeks somewhat scared by her harsh manner, I am completely comfortable now and am going to miss her terribly! The home-stay component of the program has contributed immeasurably to my significantly increased speaking ability and to the whole program in general.

Lately, my friends and I have been enjoying thinking back to how differently we felt those first few days when everything was new, everything was a little disconcerting, and more than anything, we just couldn’t really communicate! It’s so exciting to see how far we have come! However, no matter how sad I am to be leaving my life in Europe, I’m definitely getting ready to see family and friends again and cannot wait for SOPHOMORE SUMMER (part of Dartmouth’s so-called special D-Plan system, through which the entire sophomore class is on campus and takes classes during the summer term)!!! Most people say its their favorite term during their four years, but after this Barcelona experience, I’m not sure…guess I’ll just have to wait and see!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home






_________________________________________
Website currently maintained by Deborah Wassel '07