Working in Admissions
As a prospective student in my pre-Dartmouth years, I was always in awe of the almighty Admissions Office. It seemed to decide people's fates with power and force, and there was nothing you could do to change their decisions. After working there for three years, however, I'm finding that the office is filled with regular people, and even students, just like me.
I started out as a Tour Guide my freshman Winter. I was so excited to be able to show people around campus; one of the reasons that I chose Dartmouth was because the Tour Guide on my pre-matriculation tour was so energetic, so helpful, and so passionate about the school. When I finally got to follow in her shoes, I was proud and excited. I gave tours to big groups and small groups, students, parents, and administrative visitors alike. Some people were interested, and some weren't, but I loved doing it all the same.
Then, my sophomore Fall, I applied to be a Communications Intern, which meant more intensive work in the Admissions Office. When I was chosen for the position, I again got excited for my new role. I answered emails from prospective students and helped with various projects from some of the Admissions Officers. My biggest project to date was the creation of this very weblog, which was more complicated than it sounds, because at the time I knew very little about designing webpages! (I had to teach myself along the way, but it was a fun undertaking anyway.)
Last week, I found out that I was chosen to be a Senior Interviewer, the highest position a student can have in the Admissions Office. When I got the blitz (Dartmouth speak for email) I danced around my room with happiness. The position is one of extreme importance, and something toward which I felt I was working throughout my tenure in Admissions. As a Senior Interviewer, I will be responsible for helping to pick members of the class of 2011. I am so proud to leave my legacy at Dartmouth after I graduate.
If you get a chance, I would highly recommend getting involved in Admissions. It's one of the best ways to give back to the community by getting more people to love Dartmouth!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home