Almost done...

Normally, the end of the semester (or ten-week term, if you're at Dartmouth) evokes a sort of panic in every college student. Finals, papers, and inevitable realization that you're going to have to leave your dream-like bubble of a dorm are enough to make even the most seasoned college student pull the covers over his head and hit snooze on the alarm clock.
The end of this term, however, has been a little different for me. Instead of rolling out bed, throwing some sweats on, and heading to the library to cram for a final exam, I'm rolling out of bed, putting on a business suit, and heading off to Capitol Hill for my last week of work. Sure, I have a final paper to work on (a twenty-five page research paper that I've actually been working on for a few weeks now, instead of my usual night-before-it's-due writing marathon) but that's not what's making me lose sleep. In fact, I'm really enjoying writing this paper - hours of poring over primary sources and attending hearings included.
What's making me really sad is the idea of leaving Washington D.C.
I've been here for over two months, and I've learned to love the Metro (the subway system), the off-campus but still college-centric nightlife, and the constant barrage of political news nuggets. I'm going to miss getting up and going to work every day on the Hill, somewhere where
I got an incredible hands on experience in how the U.S. government actually works. (Okay, so maybe I won't miss getting up at 7AM every day, but I will miss my job!)I'm going to miss the incredible group with whom I've shared this experience. Although sometimes we got on each others' nerves - being in close quarters with the same fifteen people for two months will do that - we always had fun, and I feel like I'm leaving with fifteen friends, all of whom were strangers when I first arrived. I know we'll see each other on campus next year, but I know it won't be the same. I'm just hoping that we all keep in touch - I know I've made some really tight connections with my classmates, and I know I'll be blitzing (emailing) with them all summer.
Overall, I am so unbelievably glad I decided to come on the FSP (foreign study program) to Washington. I've learned an incredible amount about the government, the world, and most importantly, interacting with people on a professional level. I've become an expert at sorting mail, answering office phones, and giving a detailed history of the U.S. Capitol.This Saturday, I'll be heading home to New York for a few days, and then it's back up to Dartmouth for the summer. While I'm certainly excited to get back to school, I'm sad to leave this vibrant city and all the amazing people I've met during my stay.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home