Re: Sciences, Languages, and Undergraduate Research
One of you commented a couple days ago asking (1) about balancing sciences and languages and (2) undergraduate research opportunities, specifically in the sciences. I'll try to speak to both of these questions as I have relevant personal experience in both arenas.
While I am technically a Latin American and Caribbean Studies Major with a focus in the Spanish Department, I have taken a large handful of science courses (biology, chemistry, and physics) to satisfy premedical requirements. I can say that my experiences on both sides of this coin have been fantastic and, together, languages and science make for a good academic mix. Introductory science classes tend to be larger, with the workload based around 3 or 4 important tests scattered throughout the term as well as weekly laboratory work. Language classes, on the other hand (and this applies to all levels), tend to be smaller and more participatory - less stressful around midterms and finals. It's also important to note that one can complete their language requirement through a Language Study Abroad, which (as you've probably already read about in past blog entries) is one term abroad, explicitly dedicated to language proficiency and cultural understanding. LSAs are a great way to break up your D Plan, especially if you're into the sciences and worry that you might not be able to handle language and science at the same time. Overall, however, I'd say it's very manageable to simultaneously tackle language requirements and science classes.
With regard to your second question, I want to highlight Dartmouth's Presidential Scholarship Program. Sophomores or Juniors in the upper 40% of their class are eligible to become Presidential Scholars. This opportunity consists of a two-term, one-on-one research assistantship with a Dartmouth faculty member. Each year there are over 100 Presidential Scholars: 1/3 coming from the Humanities, 1/3 from the Sciences, and 1/3 from the Social Sciences. Typically, a Presidential Scholar will be majoring in the department sponsoring the research assistantship. In fact, in many cases this research leads to thesis work; however, in other cases (like my own) a Presidential Scholarship may lie beyond a student's major but in an area that is especially pertinent to his/her academic interests/passions. For instance, I am currently in the second term of my presidential scholarship in the Cognitive Neuroscience NIRS Brain-Imaging Laboratory for Language, Bilingualism, and Child Development, directed by Dr. Laura-Ann Petitto. Our research addresses bilingual language acquisition, investigating language proficiency and language organization in the brain. My tasks have ranged from creating visual stimuli for neuroimaging experiments to transcribing and coding data to running subjects using our cutting-edge Near Infra-Red Spectroscopy (NIRS) brain-imaging technology (we're one of only two cognitive neuroscience labs in the country with this technology!). I'm currently culminating this experience with an independent study reviewing scientific literature on bilingual language acquistion and bilingual education.
This is one cool example of how you can blend your skills and interests in the social sciences, languages, or humanities (in my case, in Spanish and Latin American and Latino Studies) with your skills and interests in the sciences. Presidential Scholarships are just one branch of undergraduate research at Dartmouth. You can also take your research interests off-campus or even abroad by planning an independent project with a faculty advisor and applying for financial support from the Dickey Center for International Understanding or the Dean of Faculty. For example, this winter, I will be conducting independent medical anthropology research in a Haitian migrant community in the Dominican Republic, with the support of both Dickey and Dean of Faculty.
Hopefully this is somewhat helpful in answering your questions about balancing sciences and languages and about undergraduate research opportunities. Keep the comments coming! We love hearing what you all are curious about.
3 Comments:
I think this post just single-handedly propelled Dartmouth to my number-one school. Your experience successfully combining sciences and humanities, specifically Neuroscience and an area/ethnic study, is an inspiration to me. I myself am extremely interested in studying Near/Middle Eastern Studies with a focus on Arabic language and in addition cognitive/neuroscience. It delights me to hear that at Dartmouth I can successfully combine my varied interests. Thank you!
Hey Nathan,
Thanks for the feedback! I think your interests will make for an amazing and unique liberal arts experience. I'm definitely not a one-track person, so being able to combine various passions (both academic and extracurricular) has been the most rewarding part of my college experience thus far. That, and trying new things...In truth, I never thought I would end up studying Latin America or cognitive neuroscience. College will offer you the opportunity not only to build upon your interests (and perhaps even synthesize them into one!), but also provide you with new experiences, new perspectives, and new passions.
Best wishes,
Zak
Wow. I have to completely agree. I've always been concerned with going to a prestigious university (with an arguably demanding academic schedule) and maintaining my passions for music, language, and science all at the same time.
I've even considered going to a less demanding college to ensure I could pursue all three.
Your post maintained what I've known all along...I think Dartmouth is absolutely the place for me.
Post a Comment
<< Home