Keeping Up With The Times
Having lived my whole life in large cities - Los Angeles and Paris - I did have some reservations about Hanover before coming. By living in large cities I had always been plugged into the main currents of information and culture. What was Hanover going to be like? I worried that I would forget about the world here. Would I really be in tune with current events and culture worldwide?
Turns out my fears were completely unfounded. I have access to more information, and as many culturally enriching opportunities as I can handle than I do back home. How is this possible? You can find anything in Los Angeles but it's all considerably more accessible here. There are more artists, lecturers, performers, and screenings five minutes from my door than I would ever care to see.
What I take advantage of daily, however, is the availability of periodicals and news channels. With either lunch or breakfast I always grab The Dartmouth, The New York Times and The Financial Times which, along with USA TODAY and The Boston Globe, are available all over campus for free. At the library I have access to more US and foreign newspapers and magazines then I could ever have sought out somewhere else. In one comfortable room I can read all the French magazines I would ever choose to read if I lived in France (there are about five we get here that I read). The selection of newspapers is even more astounding.
I don’t often look at the French newspapers though. Mainly, because I get the international French TV station in my room free of charge. Through the college broadband every student can watch cable television on his or her laptop. Not only do I get French television in Hanover, but it’s on my computer. I haven’t bought a TV and I don’t watch often, but being able to check CNN, Comedy Central, ESPN or even the History channel on my laptop is amazing. I’ll pause 10 minutes while working to watch Comedy Central, or the news, and I can do this anywhere on campus.
1 Comments:
Good to know, I was a bit worried about Hanover being isolated.
Post a Comment
<< Home