Winter in Hanover

It's official: fall is coming to an end. The New York Times' Northeast Foliage report today indicates New Hampshire and Vermont are “Past Prime.” As fall’s colors bleed south, we in Hanover begin to feel the beginning of winter. A little morning frost, a few barren trees, and a slew of midterm’s means November is almost here.
But while some sophomores are already warming to the thoughts of a winter term spent in Latin America or Africa, courtesy of the Dartmouth plan, I’m eagerly anticipating our first snowfall. I wouldn’t dream of missing winter at Dartmouth. I hope it gets very cold very fast. Why? Because winter at Dartmouth is too much fun. There are more unbelievable options for those who are even slightly drawn to snow than I could ever have imagined before coming here.
Downhill skiing at the skiway is an obvious choice for everyone hoping to improve. PE classes taught by students are a great way to learn and make new friends. The skiway is only a half hour away on the shuttle and it’s an awesome little hill. If you’re craving more terrain, Killington and Okemo are just an hour away. The legendary New England backcountry of the White Mountains, Tuckerman’s Ravine, is only two hours away. It’s never hard to find friends or clubs to take you to any of these places. But the skiway is great when, on a lazy Saturday afternoon, you get the urge to get a few runs in. The recently rebuilt lodge is a great place to hang out and students can purchase food there on their meal plans. Few others in the country have the privilege of such accessible skiing. Weekend shuttles are free and you will never be offered a cheaper ski pass in your life!
Cross-country skiing is also very popular. I started cross-country skiing last year with a PE class and I loved it. The cross-country house is a five minute walk from campus and usually has a big fire roaring outside. Enjoy a cup of cocoa by the fire while watching pick-up hockey games on Occum pond after a strenuous XC class.
There are also more exotic PE classes offered: Ice Climbing, Avalanche Safety, and Winter Mountaineering immediately come to mind. I took Avalanche Safety last winter. The class ended with a day in the backcountry practicing the skills we had learned and it was a great time. I keep the book we learned from in my pack whenever I go into the backcountry today. I hear Ice Climbing is a great time and a great workout. But this winter I’ve already decided to take winter mountaineering. My friend and I are planning on climbing a volcano in Mexico at the beginning of our spring term (Spanish Language Study Abroad term in Puebla) and we feel we need a little more experience.
Few other schools, to my knowledge, cater officially to those with an interest in mountaineering. And that’s one of the reasons I chose Dartmouth. Sure, winter is colder here, but it’s also more fun. The winter doesn’t seem too long - it’s almost too short! So while some are eyeing their swimsuits and an off-term, I’m waxing my skis.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home