Sports at Dartmouth
Sports have always played a major role in my life and, at the same time, were one of my biggest worries in coming to college. In high school, I was a three-season athlete, budgeting my time between cross country, track, and cross country skiing. And I was pretty good. But pretty good athletes have no place at a Division 1 college…or so I thought.
After returning from the unforgettable rock climbing adventure that was my freshman outing club trip, I decided to try my hand—encouraged by some friends I had made during the trip—at Ultimate Frisbee. Little did I know then that ultimate—a club sport in which over 100 Dartmouth students participate annually and compete against other Ivy League schools and various universities around the country—would become for me not only a new sport, but a new outlet for friends, travel, and fitness: essentially a new lifestyle.Ultimate is one of Dartmouth’s 21 club sports, which are open to the campus and allow for competition at many different levels.
Over the last two years, we have brought teams to tournaments in every corner of New England as well as Texas, Palm Beach, Las Vegas, North Carolina, and Georgia. One of the most unforgettable experiences of my college career has been road-tripping down the entire east coast with over 70 members of the team to compete in tournaments over spring break.My involvement in sports looks quite different these days than it did in high school. Yet, they still represent an undeniably important aspect of my collegiate life. I see this as the true beauty of one’s undergraduate years—you have incredible opportunities to try new things and see where they take you. This open slate—this opportunity to do everything you never had time or thought you could do in high school—is why people say “These are the best four years of your life.”
With literally hundreds of new opportunities, it is no wonder our campus is so active. As you may have already read on this blog and will likely continue to read, this active atmosphere extends far beyond the athletic field. Our “work hard, play hard” attitude stretches from the classroom to the stage, studio, and stadium.But if you are one of those "pretty good" runners, volleyball players or defensive linemen, don’t be discouraged by what may lie ahead in athletics. From cheering at varsity hockey games to trying your hand at intramural flag football, from working out at our new state-of-the-art fitness center to beginner whitewater kayaking PE classes, sports at Dartmouth have a place for students of all levels.
1 Comments:
test
Post a Comment
<< Home