Going Greek
When I first came to Dartmouth I had no intention of joining a fraternity. I didn't choose Dartmouth for its Greek scene. Not that I had anything against fraternities, but I didn't see them as offering anything I needed. My roommate felt exactly the same way and it was comforting to know that neither of us was going to go Greek.
The truth is, you don't have to like fraternities to love Dartmouth. That was my situation for nearly a whole year. There are so many things to do here that it will often feel like you don't have the time or heart for another "group." I hold positions in several clubs that interest me, I have a busy schedule of outdoor activities (hiking, climbing, skiing), I'm passionate about my classes, and I need time to myself. I just didn't see fraternity life fitting into my schedule. What's more, anyone can enjoy fraternity parties, since we are lucky enough to have houses that are open to all on weekend nights. I enjoyed a year of parties and hanging out in fraternities without ever feeling the need to rush.
So why am I pledging this term?
It turns out that most of my closest friends were residents of the same floor as me last year. We do not share any more interests than any other group of men. Apart from having chosen Dartmouth, we were together by chance. But it was with these guys that I became closest. Not one of us is from the same state and I doubt any of us will have a major in common. The passing of time brought us closer than any tangible bond could have. Unfortunately, different D-Plans meant that recreating our floor was an unlikely prospect. At the end of freshman year I realized that more than any classes I was taking and more than any groups I was a part of, it was the friendships that would define my four years at Dartmouth.
The rush process last weekend cleared the doubts I had about fraternities. It's easy not to see past the crowds on a Saturday night, but they aren't what fraternities are about. Talking to alumni and brothers, I realized that festivities are a small part of fraternity life - they are really about brotherhood.
Joining a fraternity is not like adding another group to your calendar. It's a defining choice. I already know my friends, my brothers, will define my experience at Dartmouth. A fraternity is, at its core, just what its name implies. It is a group I will always be able to return to because I will share the bond of time, experiences, and tradition with not only my class, but with generations of alumni.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home