Life After Dartmouth
The title of this post is ominous-sounding to any Dartmouth undergrad, and it's not something that I ever wanted to think about. Ever. But my senior year is rapidly approaching, and so I have had to make some decisions regarding my future. I spent much of this past spring term debating whether I wanted to go into politics, law, radio, or something entirely different. While the resources were there if I wanted them, I simply didn't know what it was that I wanted to do!
Eventually, I came to the conclusion that law school was the right choice for me, and began filling out applications and the other seemingly endless piles of paperwork. Career Services has been an unbelievably helpful resource for me during this process. Located on the second floor of the Bank of America building, Career Services is an office that is solely devoted to helping you figure out what heck you're going to do with yourself come graduation. I've been meeting with Karen Whittet, the pre-law advisor, and she's been an amazingly helpful go-to in my endless battle with applications, letters of recommendations, and my ever-changing personal statement. (I'm considering putting her on speed-dial.)
No matter what you're interested in doing, there's someone at Career Services who can help you. If you're set on graduate school, whether it be law, medicine, or business, you'll be set up with an advisor in that field.
If you're sick of school and want to get a job right after college, you can do that too! We have an extensive computer database of virtually every alumnus, where they live and work, and what it is they're doing. This is a terrific resource for networking purposes - and trust me, there are Dartmouth alums everywhere who are doing all kinds of amazing things. Whether you're looking for a job or an internship, Dartmouth alums are always happy to help you get your foot in the door, although usually the rest is up to you.
So while I'm not thrilled to be leaving Dartmouth or to be going through another application process, at least I know that I have lots of people who can help!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home