A Day in the Dartmouth Life

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The First-Year Experience

First off, I'd like to say hello and introduce myself as the new resident first-year blogger. After being here at Dartmouth for the fall term and a few weeks of the Winter Term, I finally have the chance to share what life has been like as a '10. Hopefully, I'll be able to share a slightly different perspective as a first-year, given that the other bloggers are all upperclassmen.

For those future '11's who were accepted Early Decision, congratulations. You're going to what is, in my opinion, the best school in the world - there's simply no competition! However, there are a few things you should probably be aware of that I've learned throughout the year so far:

1. EBA's phone number and website - 643-6135 and www.ebas.com. For that critical time period between 1 am when Food Court (one of the main dining places on campus) closes and 2:10 AM when EBA's (a popular resturant in Hanover) stops delivering, you must know this in order to survive those late-night hunger pangs. And it's also really helpful when it's cold outside and you simply don't want to make the walk to the dining hall. You can't use your DBA (our abbreviation for your dining money), but the convenience is totally worth it.

2. Blitz etiquette. "Blitz" is the name of the the email system on campus, and I usually describe it as a combination between regular email and instant messaging - it's hard to understand unless you use it. When there are 5 people in line to use the blitz terminal in Thayer and you're searching through the menu bar looking for the sign off command, you won't be endearing yourself to those waiting behind you. Command + \ signs you on and off, Command + Delete sends a blitz to the trash, and Command + R opens up a reply message. And if you're ever sending a mass blitz, suppress the recipient list. I learned this the hard way after nearly starting a blitz war among the '10s at the end of September.

3. Take advantage of orientation. There won't be any other opportunity during your time at Dartmouth when you have nearly 10 days of academic freedom. Try to meet as many people as you can - everyone is looking to make friends - and be friendly. You'd be amazed at how a friendly "hello" and a smile can work wonders. Also, go to the department open houses - they were tremendously helpful in allowing me to pick classes for the fall term.

4. Get involved in clubs and activities. Even if it is something as simple as sitting in on a class council meeting or joining the the Programming Board, you'll be amazed at how many people you meet and friends you make. And most of the time, it's simply a ton of fun! It's only my second term here at Dartmouth, and I'm already an exec on the Programming Board, a staff member on the business side of The Dartmouth (our school newspaper), a member of Student Assembly and its Student Services subcommittee, and a member of the Class Council, to name a few. It's amazing the opportunities that are given to you as a first-year; at Dartmouth, nearly everything is available to everyone.

5. Take the time to enjoy the outdoors. I can almost guarantee that your DOC trip will be amazing (don't let the wilderness scare you), and when you have free time, either go on a hike, go canoeing, go to the Skiway - do something! Dartmouth's location, while somewhat rural, has a ton to offer. The DOC is the Dartmouth Outing Club, and they host five-day wilderness trips that nearly the entire freshman class goes on before the start of their freshman year. The trips involve everything from hiking, canoeing, rock climbing - even working on the organic farm - in small groups of 6-8 trippees, led by 2 upperclassman trip leaders.

6. Get to know your professors. They are some of the most amazing and accomplished individuals in their fields; sometimes I wondered why they weren't out saving the world or something instead of teaching. They love to get to know their students, and they'll be thrilled if you even just poke your head into their office hours just to say hi.

I'll have tons more to say about life as a freshman as time goes on, but for now, it's dinnertime, and the pesto-crusted chicken and baked risotto with spinach from Homeplate (another dining option) is calling my name (oh, and number 7: Dartmouth food is great - you'll be able to brag to your friends when you see them during the first break at how good your campus food is).

3 Comments:

At January 19, 2007 11:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cory!

It's really nice to read the Dartmouth way of life. I can't will till it's my turn.

I agree that D'mouth is the best school in the world-- I've just yet to experience it. Your journals here get me excited, thinking of what my time will be like. Have fun and good luck this term!

Do update when you have time. =)

~ Kavidha N. // james_padfoot@hotmail.com

 
At January 19, 2007 7:51 PM, Blogger Cory Cunningham '10 said...

Thanks, Kavidha! I totally agree that reading the blog is great - that's what I did when I got accepted to Dartmouth my senior year.

If there's anything in particular that you'd like me to write about, just say so and I'll put together an entry about it.

Cory

 
At September 13, 2007 5:09 AM, Blogger Lyka said...

Aloha,

Although I am in my Junior year of college, your blog entry made me realize that a new place, or even the prospect of one, always has the power to bring back the excitement of freshman year. Thanks for sharing! I would LOVE to attend Dartmouth Medical School. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home






_________________________________________
Website currently maintained by Deborah Wassel '07