Back from Spring Break!
Spring term has just begun and Dartmouth students are back on campus. I am happy to be back for a new term, but I was a little sad to leave West Virginia. This spring break was my first time at West Virginia, and I had gone there with my ASB (Alternative Spring Break) group to learn about rural poverty and help out with a local charity organization in Caretta, WV. Dartmouth sends a large number of students every break to regions in need. The Tucker Foundation, Dartmouth's general community service institution, helps organize trips to the Gulf Coast for Katrina Aid, or ASBs to other impoverished areas. This year, there were two ASBs - one to Washington D.C. to fight homelessness and one to West Virginia to learn about rural poverty.
To get into a trip (whether it was a Katrina trip or an ASB), we had to apply early on during winter term. After going through a written application process and an interview, 12 members were chosen for my ASB trip. The trip is mostly student planned - our leaders were Dartmouth students, and we made the travel arrangements and decisions. We met once a week throughout winter term to learn about the history of Caretta, WV, its culture, and its economic situation. A day after winter term ended, we loaded up our vans and drove down to West Virginia. It was slightly awkward at first - going on a trip with 11 new friends can't be not awkward - but sooner or later, we all clicked. We stayed at an abandoned school building and under the direction of the local volunteer organization, we started working on various projects. Since not many of us had construction experience, demolition, painting, and siding were all part of a learning process, but everybody jumped in with enthusiasm. The great thing was that while we worked, we also got to interact with West Virginians and talk to them. Everybody was so nice and hospitable - I hugged so many people in West Virginia - and it was great to hear their life stories. People would invite us to their houses for a barbeque, take us out for a milkshake, or they would take us to a bowling alley. We even danced with the townspeople at a Blue Grass music hall!
I was a little apprehensive about participating in the trip before I left. I didn't really know the people in my group that well, and as an international student, I was not familiar at all with West Virginia. However, through this spring break, I met new friends, saw new sights, and helped out in a good cause. I already submitted my application for a Katrina trip between spring and summer term - hopefully I can go again!
1 Comments:
Wow!
But is there a way for students that have not been accepted to still help out? Do many Dartmouth students undertake community service projects abroad (whether domestic or international)?
Post a Comment
<< Home