Students Helping Students: Peer Academic Link
Congratulations to the class of 2011! I hope that all of the admitted students are excited about Dartmouth, and remember that any of us are happy to help with any questions that you might have about Dartmouth! Tell us what you want to read about on our blog!
Reflecting back on my four year experience at Dartmouth, I have always been really impressed with the spirit of volunteerism at our school. Dartmouth was one of the top schools with graduates joining Teach for America and the Peace Corps for the class of 2006, and I believe 90% of students are involved in some form of community service during their time in our community. Students are always there to help other students too! I remember as a first year student, I struggled in a math course. My hall mates went out of their way to help me solve problems, and since I was on financial aid, Dartmouth paid for me to get a tutor. Without their help I would have been lost! Dartmouth students aren't cut-throat competitive; it's an environment that fosters team-work and that's one of the best aspects of Dartmouth. I talked to a lot of my friends who went to other colleges and universities, and they felt lost because people wouldn't share their notes from class if they were sick! Dartmouth students are friendly, and overall really helpful.
One program that I want to highlight today is the Peer Academic Link program. It's called PAL for short, and its a student advising program that was created by two senior women at Dartmouth. It's a really wonderful program that centralizes the best students of all of the academic departments and makes them available to ask questions and makes them really accessible!
The program has gotten rave reviews, and many underclassmen use it as a resource to learn about planning a major, off campus programs, and career paths! To read some press about it, click here.
Take a look at the website: it is open for anyone to look at, and read the profiles and experiences of students who are great role models in their academic departments. They are available to answer questions for current and prospective students too!
For example, if I were a prospective student interested in majoring in Government, I would look up the PALs for the department by clicking on the department and finding a profile.
Take a look at all of the Government profiles here! I've posted parts of my friend Poneet's profile below, who is a senior from New Jeresey.
_____________________________________
Pooneet Kant ’07
Government and Economics double major
Favorite and least favorite thing about department: My favorite thing has been my experience working closely with a number of Government Professors in an Research Assitant capacity. This work has made all Government classes that I take far more meaningful and engaging. My least favorite thing about the Government department is the shortage of Professors, something that leads to large class sizes.
Important info for potential majors: I think it is important to take at least two intro classes before you decide on any one particular track. The intro classes do a great job of surveying what studying that particular field is like. Exposing yourself to these classes early on is the best way to gauge first whether a Government major is really for you, and second what field would be best for you.
Most valuable academic information learned: The most valuable piece of academic information that I wish I had known earlier is how important it is to pick Professors carefully. Each Professor has a different teaching and grading style, and learning to decide in the first few days of a term if a particular Professor’s style works is key to performing well and getting the most out of the classes you take.
___________________________________________
I hope you find this website as helpful and interesting as I have found it! Feel free to email any of the PALs with your questions about their department!
3 Comments:
Hi
I was given the impression that professors at Dartmouth are all very enthusiastic and it is easy to form strong relationships with them (according to a college guide book). I was wondering if this account is accurate?
Thanks! :]
How generous is Dartmouth with their financial aid? I know that schools like Yale will give 100% of demonstrated financial need, but I was wondering what Dartmouth's policy on that was.
Anonymous - Dartmouth professors are fantastic, and very easy to approach. I have several professors with whom I would say I am friends; I even go out to lunch with them on occasion. So I would say that the guide book you found was pretty accurate.
Nao - Dartmouth also has a policy to meet 100% of the demonstrated need. For more information on financial aid, you can visit their website at < http://www.dartmouth.edu/apply/financialaid/ >.
Post a Comment
<< Home