A Day in the Dartmouth Life

Friday, April 27, 2007

Music at Lone Pine

Being a senior at Dartmouth has its perks - you know pretty much everyone, you've got the dining menus memorized, and most of us, at least, can relax for our senior spring, because we already know what grad school we're going to, or where we'll be working next year.

But senior spring is also sad, because it is a time of lasts. One of mine has been performing at Lone Pine Tavern, which is one of the late-night dining facilities. What I love about Lone Pine is that it feels like a coffehouse, bar, and living room all at the same time. You can order alcohol there (if you're over 21), you can grab a burger or some nachos, and you can play one of the dozens of board games that are stocked in the back.

But for me, the best part about Lone Pine is that every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday night, you can hear live music from 8pm-midnight - and they're all students! We have people playing everything from bluegrass to jazz to rock to classical music, on everything from guitars to mandolins to pianos to drums. It's a fantastic opportunity to hear your classmates showcase their talents (and believe me, there are some really talented people here).

As a performer at Lone Pine, I do get paid, but I definitely don't do it for the money. I do it because I love to play, and I love to hear people singing along with my songs. I play an eccelctic mix of music - everything from Guster to Incubus to Dave Matthews - but I also love it when friends ask me to learn songs for them. I'll even admit that I learned both Kelly Clarkson and Britney Spears songs for my most devoted fans!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home






_________________________________________
Website currently maintained by Deborah Wassel '07