A Day in the Dartmouth Life

Monday, May 14, 2007

Writing for The Dartmouth

The Dartmouth is Dartmouth College's daily campus newspaper. It is the oldest college newspaper in America, and it is written and run by students. Simply known as 'The D', you can see people reading it all over campus - over breakfast, in class, etc. It covers campus events, accomplishments of students and faculty, athletics, student life, and opinions.

I started writing for the D last winter. There are a lot of different sections to write for, and you can also get involved in layout or business. It is easy to get involved - becuase of the d-plan, there is a lot of turnover of writers and staff members. Almost every term, they accept applications. I got involved in the Arts section and the Mirror (the weekly magazine section within the D). Writing for the D, I got to interview a student who organized an exhibit, a student who authored his own graphic novel. I also covered a book arts workshop, and researched cheap chic winter clothes. Being part of the D is not only a valuable accomplishment, but it also lets you know more about the ongoing events and programs around campus. It is also different from writing for a high school newspaper, because the D reaches more than 4000 students and faculty members each day.

Last week, we had a end of the year Dartmouth banquet. An alumnus who works for the Washington Post came to talk about his experience in journalism, and it was great to have a classy event with the people you've worked with. Check out the online edition of the D here at thedartmouth.com. It's a great way to know what goes on in Hanover, even if you're not here to witness it!

1 Comments:

At May 14, 2007 10:30 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have been reading the newspaper[online] for quite sometime now and I must say you guys do great job! If I get into Dartmouth I would like to write the comic section ;)

Kudos to you all! Cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home






_________________________________________
Website currently maintained by Deborah Wassel '07